ACTAS Program Aims
- To deliver a world class netball program that prepares athletes and teams to win milestone events
- To identify and develop the next generation of pre‐elite athletes for sustained international success
- To build and maintain effective relationships with key stakeholders to deliver the National High Performance plan
- Investment and performance services support to the Canberra Spirit Open Team inclusive of Netball Australia Categorised and Targeted athletes
One National High Performance plan
Netball nationally must think from an integrated not individual jurisdiction perspective in both planning and program delivery: "whole of system contribution focus".
It is critical to secure strong national and state organisational alignment, particularly around strategic plans: this has implications for governance, culture and relationships. There is significant alignment between current national/state strategic plans and one plan for high performance is achievable.
A secure increased funding base with rolling four year funding envelopes will allow netball to plan with confidence and provides a secure platform on which to grow our capacity and sustainability.
An aligned high performance program will involve:
- a national partnership approach with shared investment, influence and accountability
- improved collaboration, communication and coordination of program delivery between all system partners including the AIS and State and
- Territory Institutes of Sport , Netball Australia and the Member Organisations
- vastly improved connectivity, alignment and collaboration planning and delivery coordination
- whole of sporting pathway focus high performance
- increased research and sharing best practice to drivesystem
- improvement and innovation
A National Talent Identification and Development Framework
Strengthening our talent identification and talent development system for netball's pre‐elite athletes and their coaches is critical in gaining early engagement with these talented individuals. Increased resources will provide a larger national footprint and will enable the nationally identified athletes to access quality training environments.
State Institutes and Academies of Sport
The National Institute Network (NIN) programs are an integral part of talent development, support of national athletes and provide the Daily Training Environment (DTE) for Diamonds and 21/U squad members. Netball is included as a program in the New South Wales Institute of Sport (NSWIS), Northern Territory Institute of Sport (NTIS), South Australian Sports Institute (SASI), Tasmanian Institute of Sport (TIS), Victorian Institute of Sport (VIS), ACTAS and West Australian Institute of Sport(WAIS).
The National Underage Camp and squad programs are also supported by the NIN.
The delivery model varies in each State and Territory to cater for specific needs of the State, based on available resources (financial and people), demographics and subsequent size of the talent pool.
NIN delivery models are as determined by the Netball Australia (NA) National High Performance Plan.
ACTAS Program Responsibilities
The ACTAS Program provides a daily training environment that supports Netball Australia's decentralised national and international netball programs.
Selected ACTAS athletes may be supported to compete in the Australian Netball League competition.
The program is led by a Netball ACT employed Head Coach who will contract other support staff including specialist coaches, assistant coaches as well as other technical or logistical staff as required.
The ACTAS Program will predominately cater for the development and support of nationally identified and emerging athletes, structured to deliver athletes into the Netball Australia National Age Team Program/s and or national squads.
Program Selection Criteria
Information relating to the ACTAS Netball Program Selection Criteria is available through Netball ACT.
ACTAS Netball Program
Phone: (02) 6207 4388 (+61 International)
Postal Address: ACT Academy of Sport, Building 20 Leverrier Street Bruce ACT 2617
Contact - Kate Carpenter, Spirit Head Coach
Netball ACT Office, SolarHub ACT Netball Centre, 435 Northbourne Avenue, Lyneham, ACT 2602 Ph: +61 2 6241 4355