2017-18 Indigenous Sports Grants Program (ISGP)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Applicants
What is the Indigenous Sports Grants Program (ISGP)?
The ACT Government's ISGP, administered by Active Canberra, is a grants program for eligible individuals seeking support for their participation in sport and active recreation activities.
The primary objective of the ISGP is to make participation opportunities in sport and active recreation more accessible to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, particularly people that are disadvantaged. The ISGP has an emphasis on a structured, frequent level of participation that supports positive health, social and wellbeing outcomes.
Funding for the ISGP is provided to the ACT Government through the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet’s (DPM&C) Indigenous Advancement Strategy (IAS).
When is the 2017-18 ISGP open for applications?
The 2017-18 ISGP is open for applications until 30 June 2018 (or until funding is exhausted).
What is the eligible region?
The ISGP covers applicants from the following areas:
- The Australian Capital Territory *
- Captain’s Flat
*including Jervis Bay
What grants are available?
Three types of grants are available to eligible people through the ISGP, including:
Individual Sports and Active Recreation Grant - An individual can apply for up to $200 to support their participation in an organised sports or active recreation competition or program of at least 6 weeks in duration.
Individual Education and Training Grant - An individual can apply for up to $200 to support their participation in an education and training opportunity that relates directly to organised sport or active recreation.
Individual Representative Grant - An individual can apply for up to $200 to support their participation in a representative sport or active recreation opportunity.
What costs can be covered?
ISGP funding can cover only the following costs:
- Registration fees.
- Membership fees.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible to apply through the 2017-18 ISGP, applicants must:
- be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander decent – Note that the applicant must provide a Confirmation of Aboriginality and/or Torres Strait Islander decent form;
- If the Applicant is 17 years or younger, a Confirmation of Aboriginality or Torres Strait Islander form of the parent or guardian completing the application will be accepted.
- live within the eligible region*;
- be seeking funds to participate in an eligible activity* run by an eligible activity provider*;
- have not have received funding through the ISGP for the period between 1 July 2017 and 1 January 2018 – unless funding has been received or is sought for the Individual Education and Training Grant**;
- have not received funding through another source for this same item; and
- have not have received funding through the Elite Indigenous Travel and Accommodation Program (EITAAP) for this same opportunity.
*Refer to the ISGP Funding Guidelines:
**Applicants can only receive funding through the ISGP once for the period between 1 July 2017 and 30 June 2018, unless funding has been received or is sought for the Individual Education and Training Grant. Applicants can receive funding through the ISGP up to twice for the period between 1 July 2017 and 30 June 2018 if one of the two allotments of funding is received for an Individual Education and Training Grant.
More information and how to apply
For more information on the ISGP, including the Funding Guidelines and how to apply, please visit the ISGP web page: